Jugger Community

Jugger in Deutschland

Alle Zeiten sind UTC + 1 Stunde [ Sommerzeit ]

Ein neues Thema erstellen Auf das Thema antworten  [ 59 Beiträge ]  Gehe zu Seite 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Nächste
Autor Nachricht
 Betreff des Beitrags: Some weapon-related questions.
BeitragVerfasst: Di 23. Nov 2010, 20:02 
Hey there! I have certain questions regarding weapons and weapon crafting I think you can help me with =).

First: I've seen guides and rulebook translations that only specify the max lenght of the weapon, others that specify the blade length and handle length, and others that describe very precisely how long could each part be. So how much flexibility there is? If there is flexibility at all, I mean. For example, if the short sword has 65cm of blade and 20cm of handle, could you, for example, leave the handle in between and have 32cm of blade at each side like a glaive of sorts? (Of course this is a crazy example but you get my point).

Second: How does the Shield size restriction work? I've read that the maximum diameter is 60cm. Does this mean that any shape that you can fit inside a 60cm diameter circle works? So you can have, for example, a square shield if the diagonals are less than 60cm? (Considering you pad the edges and corners perfectly of course). Some people answered this question by saying the shield should have no corners. If that's true, can the shield have a rounded shape different to a circle anyway? Like an ellipse?

Third: This is more related to strategy and less to weapon crafting, but still... Is there any record of a player using two short swords successfuly? In Spain, they're barely ever used and we got to the point of considering it the worst weapon by far, and we usually frown upon new players that pick them up. I really like their style and I would like to give them a chance myself, but I will not if I'm given objective reasons why they're not on par with other, more common weapons.

Thanks in advance for your german wisdom! =P

Betreff des Beitrags: Re: Some weapon-related questions.
BeitragVerfasst: Di 23. Nov 2010, 20:30 

Stadt: Bad Oldesloe
Team: Last Man Standing
Position: Stabspieler
Hi, ill start to spread my wisdom :banane:

Part1:
Glaive possible? No. Its clearly not a 1handed Sword / Pompfe when its a Glaive, 1handen sword has 1 Blade, 1 Handle a Glaive has Blade-Handle-Blade.
The most important thing when u buy a weapon is the maximum range of it. For a 1handen Sword / Pompfe its 85cm.
Maybe u want to have a smaller handle and longer blade it should be alright, als long as both together arent longer than 85cm. Is it possible to have a huge handle and small blade? I am not really sure about that, but i guess there are no real problems with it.

Part2:
It works just as u described it. Imagine a circle with 30cm radius, everything that fits in it is ok. So an ellipse or square shield is fine, as long as it is safe!!!

Part3:
No one really uses 2 1handed swords / Pompfen. They suck.

BeitragVerfasst: Di 23. Nov 2010, 20:38 
Michi hat geschrieben:
Hi, ill start to spread my wisdom :banane:

Part1:
Glaive possible? No. Its clearly not a 1handed Sword / Pompfe when its a Glaive, 1handen sword has 1 Blade, 1 Handle a Glaive has Blade-Handle-Blade.
The most important thing when u buy a weapon is the maximum range of it. For a 1handen Sword / Pompfe its 85cm.
Maybe u want to have a smaller handle and longer blade it should be alright, als long as both together arent longer than 85cm. Is it possible to have a huge handle and small blade? I am not really sure about that, but i guess there are no real problems with it.

Part2:
It works just as u described it. Imagine a circle with 30cm radius, everything that fits in it is ok. So an ellipse or square shield is fine, as long as it is safe!!!

Part3:
No one really uses 2 1handed swords / Pompfen. They suck.

Thanks for the answers!

So you guys agree that 2 1handeds suck =P. The thing is, I don't understand why they suck so much when sword + shield is considered a very good weapon choice (at least here). Ideally, if you became good enough with your off-hand to parry attacks like you were using a shield, it should be fine right? Is it that they really suck for a specific reason, or simply that people aren't bothered to learn to use them well because of their fame?

BeitragVerfasst: Di 23. Nov 2010, 20:43 
Michi hat geschrieben:
Is it possible to have a huge handle and small blade? I am not really sure about that, but i guess there are no real problems with it.

Also I would like further clarification on that part. In fact, that was exactly what I was thinking about when I made the question. I think it could be very good to have a short sword with a much bigger handle lenght for reasons I shall keep secret 8-) (don't worry, It's not to hurt anyone).

BeitragVerfasst: Di 23. Nov 2010, 20:46 

first of all in germany shield isnt really bad, but quite unusual.

2 1handed Pompfen:
- Their range is very bad
- You cant really stop or block a hard hit, u can do this way better with a staff, longsword, shield or Qtip

When u look a the shield or the offhand 1handed sword, there really is no real advantage for the sword. Sure you attack with the offhand but most people dont have the sweet ninjaskills to really use two weapons to great effect. So at the end of the day you just wanna block with the offhand and a shield is much mor useful for that, you can hide behind a shield (espec when u duck), the shield cant be pushed away that easily and you wont confuse yourself trying to do retarded stuff with two swords :axel:

BeitragVerfasst: Di 23. Nov 2010, 20:49 

Cuervo hat geschrieben:
Michi hat geschrieben:
Is it possible to have a huge handle and small blade? I am not really sure about that, but i guess there are no real problems with it.

Also I would like further clarification on that part. In fact, that was exactly what I was thinking about when I made the question. I think it could be very good to have a short sword with a much bigger handle lenght for reasons I shall keep secret 8-) (don't worry, It's not to hurt anyone).

The way I understand the rules its perfectly fine to build your 1hand sword with maybe a 40cm handle and 45cm blade, as long as its only 1 blade not the glaive.
As long as the maximum range of the weapon is not changed its all fine. Just remember not to hit with ur handle.
If u build u weapon with maybe 10cm blade and 70cm handle, cos the handle is not as heavy as the thigh blade, then its not fine cos u will probably hit someone with the non-soft-handle.

BeitragVerfasst: Di 23. Nov 2010, 21:02 

Stadt: Hamburg
Position: Laufen.
Just don't forget one thing: Tournaments and german rules ain't the last word. You can build whatever you like. Maybe it's not in the rules, but than again, those aren't exactly carved in stone tablets and passed down from god. If your group thinks a glaive-like sword would be cool, go ahead, build one, try it and please report back about it ^^. Might not be tournament-legal in germany, but heck, who cares?

BeitragVerfasst: Di 23. Nov 2010, 21:03 

Stasi cares, always!

BeitragVerfasst: Di 23. Nov 2010, 21:48 
Thing is, we're already quite divided about the rules here, we don't want to set the different groups apart by adding more home variants. Particularly in Madrid, wanting to change the slightest bit of a rule is going to result in Kettes flying to your face =P.

BeitragVerfasst: Di 23. Nov 2010, 22:37 

Stadt: Hamburg
Position: Laufen.
Ahh, there's no improvement without improvising ;)

Ein neues Thema erstellen Auf das Thema antworten  [ 59 Beiträge ]  Gehe zu Seite 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Nächste

Alle Zeiten sind UTC + 1 Stunde [ Sommerzeit ]