Treffpunkt für Jugger aller Länder
Meetingpoint for Juggers from all around the world
hikhvar
Stadt: Karlsruhe
Team: PaderBears
Position: Q-Tipp

Re: Some weapon-related questions.

Beitrag von hikhvar » Do 23. Jan 2014, 12:09

What is the purpose of those screws? Holding the core staff in position? Using double faces adhesives tapes or other adhesives will do the job properly.

From my perspective this weapon would not pass the check at a tournament.

Siggi
Stadt: Hamburg
Team: Torpedo Irgendwas
Position: Eckfahne

Beitrag von Siggi » Do 23. Jan 2014, 12:28

@hikhvar: no this has to do with balancing and speed. Your weapon will respond differently and most likely faster if you do it right.

@maverick626:
first off, nobody can look inside a weapon. So the only way to tell if screws are inside might be from weight and handling the weapon. That needs an experienced player to find out. So considering tournaments it would be a matter of honesty to tell the others if metal is inside.

As for the built: there are some wicked forces at work in those weapons. every time you think you found a perfect solution, something will go Boink. That said I doubt there is a 100% safely way to attach those screws and pad them properly without the slightest doubt of injuring somebody. So if it was the Hamburg tournament we most likely would not allow them.

I already read about the ongoing "arms-race" in Spain ;) . It´s all about speed. So your weapons are usually already much thinner and less padded than german weapons. Most of you also rely on bamboo and similar stuff, so a lot of equipment tends to break. That in combination with screws is set to eventually hurt somebody! Please do not neglect safety issues. It might work 100 times but there will be that one case... If it can be avoided by simple measurements - not adding metal - and the only downside would be a little less speed.
Achtung: Kommentare können Spuren von Satire & Ironie enthalten. Zynismus nicht ausgeschlossen.

hikhvar

Beitrag von hikhvar » Do 23. Jan 2014, 14:11

@Siggi,

yeah, I know this use case. And I have seen ultralight balanced German Langpompfen. They are mainly based on carbon tube cores and metal weights INSIDE the carbon tube at the grip end. Like the green balance weight in Mavericks construction. But the optional screws at the top adding only additional weight at the already heavy top of the Langpompfe. So what is their advantage? I see only the disadvantage of decreased safety.

Raymond
Stadt: Berlin
Team: GrenzdebileAltersschwacheGreis
Position: Kanonenfutter

Beitrag von Raymond » Do 23. Jan 2014, 15:06

The common solution to balance langpompfen in germany is to use this:
http://www.markt.de/kassel/dekoration+w ... expose.htm
That is a fabric-Ribbon, with little plumber pieces inside. Normally it was winding around the bar-end of the Langpompfe. In Germany it is common sense, that this is the safest variant to balance a pompfe.

edith: sometimes a simple translation, leads to interesting discoverys: I found this product, which is made to give an individual balance for golf clubs or rackets:
http://www.nordicagolf.de/clubmaker-sel ... -tape.html
Bild

Maverick626
Team: valencia juggernauts|
Position: langpompfe

Beitrag von Maverick626 » Mo 27. Jan 2014, 10:55

first of all, i do understand that honesty is key in this sport, thats why i´m discussing this with you fellas, i rather leave my weapons at home than sneak something you wouldnt approve.

@hikhvar, the screw on top is used to secure an extra piece of plastic ( either tubing or syntra) in place since glue tends to last 1 month only , to seal that end of the pipe and avoid the padding at the tip to tear at the hole , then again this is a simple security measure,and used once you run out of caps like the ones that come with every pack of bycicle´s handle tape.

Secondly, the screws are small, just to add an extra anchoring point, i´ve been playing for 4 years now, i know its nowhere close to the years that you have out there, but to date i´ve seen far more troubles with standard builds than with my least orthodox weapon.
first a little bit of history, given that @siggi mentions the arms race, its worth noting that the tendency of the arms race varies greatly from region to region, even if most elite tier teams go full speed, a lot of people still go with heavy pompfen, or discardable thin bamboo pompfen., so over the years my goal has been to achieve a pompfen that stays in the middle, with proper balancing to be able to spin around and deflect then thin and fast category, yet sturdy enough to hold the line when facing the heavy weights and with almost non wiggle.
Back in the day i mentioned this to my physics teacher, and we came up with a pompfen desing, my least orthodox one, that had a breaking point of 100-110 kg ( we estimated that a mid air colision with another player should be a breaking point for safety reasons, better a broken pompfen than using the other player as your landing gear ) we tinkered about 2 hours crunching numbers and calculating the flexing and breaking points of different plastic piping, we came out with a weapon that combined bamboo encased in a pvc pipe, 2 different diameters of pvc piping, 2 screws placed at an angle of 30º(60 from eac other) from the main "hitting " side . this weapon lasted 3 years of heavy weekly abuse, including tournaments, only broke once ( a staff almost lifted me from the ground from a kneeling position) and that was back in the last october .
Here in spain, the weapons desing rules didnt mentioned anything regarding metal until recently,feishing weights and screws were a given for whoever wanted to use them, back in the early days, and that was geared towards a certain player that sneaked a weapon that used a whole aluminum pipe for core.
Still some people take the rules to ridiculous levels, thats why only recently the screw thing has become a topic for discussion.

As a sidenote, this 4 years i´ve been experimenting myself with alternative builds, full pvc, 2 diameters with specific pvc glue only, naked bamboo, bamboo inside thin pvc , bamboo inside thick pvc, half bamboo half pvc, and nothing has lasted as much as the least orthodox one, nor performed as good as that one.

updating edit: following the ancient wisdom of japanese swordmaking and my weeabootastic approach to life, instead of using screws i´m testing some wood wedge-like pins, just like a mekugi would do

magdosandor
Stadt: Tirgu Mures
Team: Second Cubs
Position: Kette, Langpompfe, Stab

Beitrag von magdosandor » Fr 18. Apr 2014, 00:18

Hi guys,

I'd have one (more) question related to pompfen-making: what are the parameters of a softball needed for the chain? The book says it's around 20 cm in diameter but nothing else really. I suppose it should be a ball filled with a soft material, not air. Is that correct? What should be the weight? By the way, in what sports do they use such balls? (Not in softball, I guess, those balls are way smaller.) Where do you buy them? Any other names of the exact ball type?

Thanks again!

Sandor

hikhvar

Beitrag von hikhvar » Fr 18. Apr 2014, 09:40

Hey,

You are right. The balls are mostly solid foam balls. These balls are made for childrens to enable them playing football without breaking anything.
We use exactly this ball in our chains: John - Softball 20 cm(German link). I think this (Amazon UK) ball is made equally.

magdosandor

Beitrag von magdosandor » Mi 3. Sep 2014, 15:26

Hi there,

Once again, a technical question about pompfen-making, thanks for any answer in advance!

I experience that the most vulnerable point of pompfen we made is the cuff's end that is closer to the handle. The diameter there changes from around 11 cm (cuff) to around 7.5 (15x45 insulation) and forms a concave region that is still quite close to the end so it gets quite some stress, so the tape tends to break/split slowly and if you don't notice it in time, the mat/insulation will also break deeper and deeper.

Do you have any proven methods to make that part stronger?

Thanks a lot guys!

Sandor

PS: Just preparing to write on the blog soon - things evolved slowly with our team here in Romania. (BTW, I just don't see where you register to the blog, please give me a hint!)

brekky

Beitrag von brekky » Mo 13. Okt 2014, 15:50

Back to the topic of dual wielding, I thought the benefit of trading a shield for a spar was so you could be a jerk and pin 2 people. Aslo you can tumble and jump all over the place a lot easier ( I may pretend I'm the scout for TF2 while dual wielding).

I've been thinking about making a sansetsukon (3 sectioned staff), but I'm unsure if it'd be counted as a chain (cause you use them like one), I used to train with one and they are hella fun. what you guys reckon

oh I'm an an aussie so i go by thes rules :D
http://www.jugger.org.au/index.php/what ... c392154096

magdosandor

Beitrag von magdosandor » Sa 27. Feb 2016, 18:59

Hi guys,

I am practically the pompfenmaker of our club/team here in Transylvania (in Romania) and we ran in a problem: quality of available insulation for pompfe (both first and second layer) is not the best and you cannot even buy always the same stuff. So I am wondering maybe I should make purchases/create reserves from somewhere further if prices are affordable

1. what you guys are using/recommending out there in Europe (especially Germany)
2. if that stuff can be purchased online (please give me links!) or if not: name of store and prices if possible!

Any info would be much appreciated!

Sandor

Antworten

Zurück zu „International“