After a lot of discussions and request for comments we want to present you the preliminary and publicly open tournament bracket. Since we decided to go for a is a more "traditional approach", I want to give you the factors we've been optimizing for:
- Time Table: We want the tournament to be running as smoothly as possible. Finals should not be late in the evening on Sunday. A lot of you have a long way home and we want you to watch and celebrate the finals.
- Many Matches, even games without rematches: Nobody wants to play against people we have already played a dozen times. We want you to have many matches and leveled games as early as possible.
- Simplicity: With such a big event, complex and experimental game modes can really mess up tournament schedule and organization. In order to aim for smooth progression of the event, the tournament bracket should be easy to understand for everybody.
- Ranking:We want to compare each other on the pitch. The teams should be ranked according to their skills and not to their luck in group phase or early KO match ups.
- Stones, not Sets.
Apart from the finals and maybe small finale, depending on the tournament progression. In order to fulfill our Time Table we decided to go for traditional time (stone) matches. In order to get enough Matches for a half-solid Ranking: and for Many Matches we will have 2x80 stones on Saturday (group phases and relegation, 6-7 matches per team) and 2x100 stone on saturday (KO phase, 4 matches per team). All games with stones will have a Golden Jugg rule, so no draws.
- Grouped Fields.
We'll have 16 Fields, grouped into 4 groups A-D, with 4 Fields each. Each day you will play the whole day within the same Group of 16 teams, with exception of a potential relegation game at the end of Saturday. This will have you not running around the whole fields all the time, searching for your next game (Simplicity). Don't worry, there will be no potential rematches until quarter (or semi, if you're not in mid-ranking) KO round.
- Seeded Teams.
To reduce luck of draw, we'll set the first and the second team based on JTR Ranking. The 16 teams with the best ranking, will be set randomly in the 16 groups. Same goes for the best ranked teams from 17-32, but we will take the freedom of setting potential strong mix teams or strong teams not ranked in the JTR system in this bracket as well. This is done to get a solid Ranking: from the tournament. Otherwise we'd need more matches overall or more complex tournament modes with uneven match count.
- Round Robin group of 4 teams with two teams seeded. The teams will be assigned to high (1,2) and low groups (3,4) groups, according to their group ranking. Direct comparison will be used as tiebreaker.
- Second group phase in high/low bracket. Round Robin.
- Relegation phase. The 4. ranked teams of the high groups will have to defend against a 1. ranked team of the low groups. This way a good team with bad luck in group phase can fight back to ranks 17-32 (But not Top 16) and vice versa.
KO Phase in 4 blocks of 16 teams, based on the group and relegation ranking. Finals will be set aside for public viewing. Small finals as well, if the schedule will be grateful.
Link to the detailed Tournament Plan [High Bracket exert] (forums uploads are too restricted for direct display).
The discussion of the preliminary tournament plan will be held in german in the event section of forum.jugger.org.