[Rule-Question] Playing field's shape - why octagon?

Diskussionen um das Regelwerk
Antworten
SkiF
Stadt: Togliatti
Team: Russian Team
Position: all-around
[Rule-Question] Playing field's shape - why octagon?

Beitrag von SkiF » Mi 19. Sep 2018, 21:42

So, who can explain me why playing field is an elongated octagon? I've never seen that shape in any other sport game which uses playing field.

Each time you have to spend additional time to measure and mark these additional edges :? What's real reason to do it?

It's pretty interesting where has it came from. Anybody knows?
My travel blog: skif.lince.ru

>>> Jugger in Russia <<<

Gnom
Stadt: Berlin
Team: Gnoms Gefolge
Position: Trainer, Gurt

Re: Playing field's shape - why octagon?

Beitrag von Gnom » Mi 19. Sep 2018, 23:00

Haha, sounds like a Mark Hill question...

As far as I understand it, there has been some controversity in the far Jugger past, concerning the Rule development and shape. This combined with some ancient community rivalry has lead to different rulesets and the different field shapes. I think we nowadays just like our "strange" fieldshape, no matter the circumstances how it was created.

From a fiel tactics point of view: The corners aren't used anyways, since you're trapped there as a quick and this spot is not that important as a enforcer either. At least that was my impression when I played rectangular fields in Hamburg or Ireland. Maybe it's because I'm used to the orthagonal shape, but the cut of lines make a more challenging, and therefore more interesting play with qiucks and quick-hunting enforcers in the goal area.

Ole
Stadt: Hamburg
Team: Last Man Standing
Position: Laufen.

Beitrag von Ole » Do 20. Sep 2018, 01:49

I think it has to do with the shape of the fields in the movie - the field in the Red City used to be an octagon if I remember correctly. Tried to find a picture, but Google doesn't really have on.
Stolzer Teil der "Hochkultur des Grillens und Saufens" (Dank an das Killerkaninchen!)
Entweder ich spiele gut oder ich bin verletzt

SkiF
Stadt: Togliatti
Team: Russian Team
Position: all-around

Beitrag von SkiF » Do 20. Sep 2018, 06:10

Thanks, friends!

So, it's kind of legacy from movie (or old rulesets). I could assume it's an attempt to make a kind of oval arena, to get rid of corners. Makes sense, OK.
My travel blog: skif.lince.ru

>>> Jugger in Russia <<<

Max V.
Stadt: Paderborn
Team: Peters Pawns
Position: Bauer

Beitrag von Max V. » Do 20. Sep 2018, 10:12

As a ref the cut corners are a nice spot to hang around.
"[...] und präsentierte sich ihm mit einem Blick über die Schulter, den man wohl als schalkhaft erwartungsvoll bezeichnen musste."

Ein Uhu
Stadt: The Home of rrriktig Metal
Team: Falco jugger/JärnfalkarSverige
Position: Schild. Admin Wiki & Int. Juggerblog

Beitrag von Ein Uhu » Do 20. Sep 2018, 14:15

Personally, I like the octagon also for reffing, team sideline commands and also for the inner dynamic of the match.

On history:
The movie doesn't show any octagonal hints as far as I could see, but I might well be wrong @Ole.
As far as I remember to have being told, the HH/KH/Dilli Jugger root used a regular field (Ole? Siggi?), while the Berlin root used the octagon for reasons unknown to me. Maybe it was already a communal creation, when both roots had more or less joined.

I am quite sure that the old Hamburgian rulebook from around 1997 (?) does not mention an octagonal shape, since I once looked that up specifically. Don't pin me down on this, though, since I don't have the (really) old rulebooks at hand ... I'll first have to dig them out. On the other hand, the early Jugger history is not that well documented, and one of the most important sources -- the old Dragonblood forum -- is offline.
It is certain, though, that the Jugger e. V. (Berlin) rules from November 2004 already show the octagonal shape in drawing.

Siggi will be able to answer for the first Jugger sports tournament in 1995 (... if he remembers :muhaha: ).

So this is a SiggiHH/Lester/Hendrik question, in fact.
Foren–Moderator | Huderte 2007-2012 das Juggerregelwerk
Uhus Jugger-Videotutorials | -Kommentar zum Regelwerk 2012 | Salute of the Jugger-Filmanalyse

Henrik B
Stadt: Lübeck
Team: Blutgrätsche
Position: Langpompfe, Qwik

Beitrag von Henrik B » Do 20. Sep 2018, 20:45

It may be just a side effect and not the original reason behind it, but I think the octagonal shape makes the game much more dynamic since nobody can get "trapped" in a corner. As long as you are not entirely surrounded, there is always a way out. :keule:

Antworten

Zurück zu „Regeln“